Solar energy is a completely renewable resource and it makes a lot of sense to use it at least in addition to other energy sources, if not using it solely to replace them. So, you might be wondering how does solar energy work? Can solar energy power my home? What happens at night when the sun is not visible if you are relying on solar energy to power your home? Well, let’s find out!
How does solar energy work?
The sun shines down onto the solar panel where the generating direct current electricity, or DC electricity, is stored. The energy is then converted by a solar inverter into alternating current electricity. Alternating current electricity is referred to as AC electricity and it is what all of the appliances in your home run off of. So, how does solar energy work at night when the sun isn’t shining? Well, the energy from the sun’s rays can be stored in a battery bank for use at night or on cloudy days.
Can I use solar energy to power my home?
Yes, you can absolutely use solar energy to power your home. Solar energy use is actually beginning to gain a lot of popularity globally. This is a great thing because not only is it a renewable source of energy, but it also makes the products needed to use solar energy, like solar panels and inverters, more affordable.
What are the advantages of using solar energy to power your home?
- It’s a renewable energy source
- Increases home value
- Reduces electricity costs
- Low maintenance costs
- Reduces carbon emissions
- May allow you to recoup the cost by selling power back to the utility company
What are the disadvantages of using solar energy to power your home?
- All roofs are not created equal. Some homes don’t have the kind of roof required, or their home faces in the wrong direction to get adequate solar energy.
- Installation cost is high.
- Solar panels and battery banks can take up a lot of space.
- Solar power is weather dependent, this can certainly be a problem in the UK where there are a lot of cloudy and rainy days unless you have a lot of battery bank storage available.
While it has been noted that installing solar panels can be rather expensive upfront, you should also note that the price is coming down dramatically. As a matter of fact, IKEA has now introduced a line of solar panels and battery storage products to encourage more consumers to go solar.
This has just been a brief overview of how solar energy can be used to power your home and some of the reasons that you might consider giving it a try. Even if you are using it with other power sources, it does give you more versatility. It would be rather nice to know that even if the electricity went off for a few days, you could still power your home. Solar energy to power your home or office is definitely worth a further look.