fbpx
What Makes A Moon2018-07-19T17:39:43+01:00

Ioteach (home) Forums Sciences What Makes A Moon

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Astronomers have recently discovered more moons around Jupiter, making the total now around 79. Seventy-nine moons around 1 planet. I think I knew in grade school but have long since forgot, just what are the characeristics or movements that turn a flying rock into a moon? What are the criteria they use to classify it as a moon?

Here is a rendering of what it looks like around Jupiter these days:

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

K Waris

• S BeckS Beck
      Participant

When somehing has a fixed orbit around a planet, not a star. then it’s classified as a moon. The size or shape of the object doesn’t matter, just the motion.

• Khurram Wariskhurram waris
      Keymaster

Thank you. That is kind of what I was confused about, the motion and the size. I remember when Pluto was de-classified as a planet and have wondered ever since about the moons.

K Waris

• Matthew KozakMatthew Kozak
      Participant

I find it interesting that Jupiter keeps on getting more moons. I suppose they are pulled towards Jupiter only because of its strong gravity; after all, there is no life on Jupiter’s surface which require support. It reminds me that Earth is not the only thing living; the whole universe is, in their own ways.

• Khurram Wariskhurram waris
      Keymaster

Well, I’ve learned at least a couple of new things today, I learned that there are multiple moons around Jupiter, and I learned what makes a moon, a moon. Space and the planets fascinate me, but I’m especially drawn to Jupiter and all there is to know about it. It’s such a beautiful planet.

K Waris

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top