fbpx
Solar Panels Becoming the Norm2018-06-05T00:24:17+01:00

Ioteach (home) Forums Engineering Solar Panels Becoming the Norm

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Electricity today is in so much demand that some places of the world are exporting/importing electric power with other countries. Having watched a documentary lately about renewable energy, I saw that houses on some developing countries are using solar panels on their roofs to lessen their electric bills. The cost of buying and installing solar panels is getting lower so I think solar energy will become the norm in the future as the demand for electric will not dwindle anytime soon.

What do you think?

K Waris

• Khurram Wariskhurram waris
      Keymaster

Anything to help us save electricity is a plus. Thanks to a green job course I took some time ago, I’m fanatical about doing seemingly simple things to conserve energy, like unplugging my phone charger from the electrical outlet any time my phone isn’t connected to it. Every little bit helps. That being said, I think that solar panels should be installed worldwide on just about every viable surface where it makes sense, in the same way that there are electrical outlets wherever you go. I think that solar energy will become the norm in that we will start to see solar panels at more and more places, but I don’t think that traditional energy sources are going anywhere anytime soon.

K Waris

• Luke MooreLuke Moore

it also depends on country and weather conditions for solar panel electricity generation. In colder countries e.g UK, it is probably not as efficient as wind turbine technology for electric power generation. Still, thousands of houses in UK are built with solar panel installed on roof. Have a looked at attached image for typical UK solar panel house installation.

Wind turbine technology is also becoming very popular in UK due to strong mighty storms that country generates, I happen to see hundreds of wind turbines dotted around the country. Its fascinating to see them lined up rotating continuously being used for some useful purpose.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Keymaster

I agree with you Luke about the country’s climate whether it is practical to install a solar panel than other sources of energy. The problem I see though is with the long-term maintenance of these facilities as it might be more expensive than the savings we can get.

K Waris

Keymaster

The climates in the U.S. , think Saudi Arabia, that are hot, sunny and dry have a lot of these. There are many construction companies and home building companies that incorporate solar panels in their construction of homes. Some municipalities even mandate that in contracts.

K Waris

• Roman DaviesRoman Davies
      Participant

Quite right. I travelled Kuwait and Dubai recently. Gosh! boiling temperature burns my skin down! I had to take umbrella every time I went out not to mention all sun cream I had to put on! No wonder, solar panels fits well in those countries!

• Matthew KozakMatthew Kozak
        Participant

Roman, did you see the regular townhouses using the solar panels there? Strangely, I can’t recall if they are widely used in tropical countries. That raises more questions in return. Who are the true targets of this technology? What prevents them from using it freely?

• S BeckS Beck
      Participant

The cost of buying and installing solar panels is getting lower so I think solar energy will become the norm in the future as the demand for electric will not dwindle anytime soon. What do you think?

I think you’re right. Cost was an inhibitor, but not so much anymore. Now what we need are regulations that make using them convenient for the consumer in terms of set-up costs, etc…

• Michael PetersMichael Peters
      Participant

Renewable energy is in demand right now. Solar energy might become the norm in countries where the sun is shining most of the year. As Luke has mentioned, wind energy might be more applicable to places where strong wind is more prevalent than the sun shining. I also heard about wave energy tapping the undercurrent in the sea, but that might be more expensive than the other sources of renewable energy.

Keymaster

I think that solar power is a very good thing, and as some of you have mentioned, it is more practical and effective in certain areas of the world than it is in others.  But does the end really justify the means? Solar power solves a lot of issues, but in the process does it create other issues as well? Issues that we close our eyes to because solar power is here now, it’s effective, and it’s not going anywhere?

What kinds of toxins are being put into the air via the plants where solar power panels are made? The places that manufacture these panels, are they regulated stringently to make sure that nothing dangerous is coming from all of the materials that are used to create these panels? I don’t know. Or, is creating a solar panel a totally green undertaking? I know that we need access to a lot of ways in which to utilize energy in order to accommodate the masses, but sometimes I wonder about the side effects, so to speak.

K Waris

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top