fbpx
Robotics in Factories2018-07-03T09:14:02+01:00

Ioteach (home) Forums Engineering Robotics in Factories

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Will there come a time when robots take over the factories? The precision that robots make cannot be compared to the work of humans because robots can do exactly the same thing with exactly the same quality. Robots don’t tire also so they can work 24 hours, so long as they don’t break.

K Waris

• Michael PetersMichael Peters
      Participant

Automation in factories has been already a norm in the manufacturing industry. It is way cheaper for the company owners to have robots work in the factory and it is faster than human workers. However, I don’t think we will arrive at a time where no human is present in a factory because somebody needs to switch on the factory or repair the broken parts.

• S BeckS Beck
      Participant

I am picturing a robot performing routine maintenance on another robot right now.

There will always be a mix of robots and humans in this environment though. Just a gut feeling.

• Khurram Wariskhurram waris
      Keymaster

I am picturing a robot performing routine maintenance on another robot right now.

I believe this is happening already. They are not robots per se, but applications that check the performance level of each machine working in a factory. Someday, these applications might evolve into something more dynamic and it will repair the broken machinery in the factory.

K Waris

Keymaster

I believe this is happening already. They are not robots per se, but applications that check the performance level of each machine working in a factory. Someday, these applications might evolve into something more dynamic and it will repair the broken machinery in the factory.

Checking performance levels, routine maintenance and fixing machines is the evolutionary chain that automation and robotics should take. Those 3 duties are listed by their level of importance in  most any manufacturing setting.

K Waris

Keymaster

No, I don’t think there will ever come a time when robots will completely take over factories without any type of human involvement. Robots are great machines, and therefore can do what you said here- do quality work, and work non-stop. But the caveat you mentioned is a huge one, ‘so long as they don’t break’. And break they will. A machine breaking at some point is just par for the course, it’s not a matter of if it is going to break, but when and how often. And it does not even have to be a full-on break, so to speak, it can just be a tiny glitch that throws everything off, and pretty soon everything isn’t as it should be. Humans have to be around for the quality control aspect, they also have to be around in some capacity to monitor the many ‘un-seens’ that could go on with a robotic workforce on a daily basis.

K Waris

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top