fbpx
Different Types Of Calculations2018-06-19T03:30:29+01:00

Ioteach (home) Forums Mathematics Different Types Of Calculations

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Numbers are numbers, they are absolute, they don’t lie and they are all the same when applied equally.

But therein lies the rub. There are so many different applications, or methods of calculation, that learning the different types will get you a leg up in the game as far as being qualified for different positions.

I just thought I would throw that out there to see if anyone can relate.

• Khurram Wariskhurram waris
      Keymaster

I can completely relate. I’m a big believer in truth, it is what it is and no one can change it. Either it is or it is not, either it did, or it did not – although, granted, people these days seems to have so many different versions of “the truth” that things can get muddied and cloudy. Not so with numbers; they do not lie, they are what they are. I think that is why so many people gravitate towards the many fields that have to do with mathematics, and on the other hand, that’s why many people shy away from mathematics, because there’s no way to make them be anything different than they are. One plus one is always going to equal two.

K Waris

Keymaster

Correction–

…people these days **seem** to have…

K Waris

• Michael PetersMichael Peters
      Participant

With all due respect, I don’t understand what S Beck means about different types of calculations. I agree that mathematics has many applications depending on the field of study or work you are doing. Maybe a concrete example might explain what you mean about “different calculations” and “being qualified for different positions”.

• S BeckS Beck
      Participant

Sorry for the late response. What I meant was pretty much what you got out of it. Maybe I used the wrong identifier. Maybe “functions” sums it up better.

Transportation Industry:

Management: Value of goods being shipped + Tariffs (If Any) + Cost of Man Hours Needed = Invoice to customer

Management: Invoice to cutomer realized – administrative fees = Base salary to driver

Driver: Base Salary + Time Spent + Mileage – Fuel Used = Gross Pay

Driver: Gross Pay – Business Deductions – Self-Employment Taxes = Net Pay

The calculations a driver has to make and  administartion has to make may seem relatively the same, and they basically are. When you get into the price of goods and tariffs though, you may very well have to start using conversion tables for different currencies, whereas a driver doesn’t have to unless he or she personally crosses an international border.

The calculations here on are a different level depending on the size of the business. This is a good example of what the top tier of a business has to deal with, whereas the ground level driver would not:

https://london.ac.uk/courses/management-mathematics-mt2076

A driver would not be qualified to do what the top tier does.

• Michael PetersMichael Peters
      Participant

If you come to think of it, numbers are only representations of values. Your example is actually not so complex it is accounting in our common terms. Going back in the ancient days, different civilizations have different number systems therefore trading is not so simple. Nowadays, we might say a number with a different name, but it holds the same value. However, we still use different calculations depending on what field we are in. Computers normally uses the binary and hexadecimal system to calculate processes. Microbiology uses micro numbers that they commonly use exponents with a negative sign. Astronomy on the other, hand uses huge numbers that they do the opposite of Microbiology.

Keymaster

Don’t forget Octal. It isn’t really used much unless maybe you’re still in DOS, but it comes in handy when learning about the history of different numbering systems. Knowing the history of something like this aids in the understanding of it.

K Waris

Keymaster

I get lost with numbers, but I respect math because we cannot live without it. In any areas of life, whether work, play, and even just staying at home, we use math principles and calculations. I even saw a documentary about how math affects us even if we don’t want to do anything about it.

K Waris

Keymaster

A person might not want to do anything about math, but try buyng a bag of groceries without it.

I would say they hold as much importance as words.

K Waris

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top